APPAREL MANUFACTURING SERVICES
Types of Samples
Sampling is one of the important process in garment manufacturing. Samples are the means to attract the buyer and get the order confirmed. Different types of samples are made and submitted to buyer for their approval. The samples decide the ability of exporters to deal with any given style of garment. The buyer critically examines the samples submitted for its style, construction, fit, quality etc. Every factory has its own sampling department whose work is to develop the different samples and get their approvals. Sampling department makes the samples on the basis of the specification and requirement by the buyer. Though sampling is difficult and time consuming, it will help the exporter to get the orders from buyer.
The types and requirement of samples will vary from buyer to buyer, but in industry there is a particular order of sampling process followed, the stages and purpose of sample may be same but the terminology used may be different and it totally depends upon buyer.
Following are some of the commonly used samples:
- Proto means It is the very initial sample made in the sampling process.
- This sample is developed for checking the design and style.
- As the actual fabric and trims will not be available in the very initial stage, substitute fabric and trims can be used for making the sample.
- The buyer needs to provide every details regarding the garment into the techpack, based on the techpack only the sample will be developed.
- If the buyer doesn’t approve the proto sample, factory needs to submit the 2ndproto sample to get the approval.
2. Fit sample
- The main purpose of fit sample is to check the fit and construction of the garment.
- The buyer checks the fit on live or dummy models.
- The sample is sent in M size for Men’s’ and S size for women’s garment.
- The fit sample is made with actual measurement based on the original product and specification sheets given by the buyer.
- It’s better to use the actual fabric, but substitute fabric and trims can also be used for the sample development.
3. Salesman/ Marketing/ Showroom sample
- As the name suggests, this sample is used to showcase in the various retail stores and showrooms to get the orders to the buyer.
- Actual fabric and trims are used for the development of this sample.
4.Size set sample
- For Size set samples, garments are made in all sizes and send to the buyer. The main purpose of Size set sample is to check the factory’s capability to make the samples in all sizes.
- Actual fabric and trims are to be used for Size set samples.
- The buyer specifies the number of quantity to be sent for each sizes.
- If sizes are more in number then buyer may ask to skip some sizes, this is then called Jump Size set sample.
- This is the ultimate sample after approval of which the production activity begins.
- This is the standard for the bulk production, and based on this the bulk production samples are made.
- The factory can start bulk production only after the PP sample is approved.
- The original fabric along with all original trims and embroidery or print (if any) should be used in the sample.
6. Shipment/ Warehouse sample Salesman/ Marketing/ Showroom sample
- Some garments are picked from the final shipment lot and are sent to the buyer as the shipment sample.
- The purpose of sending shipment sample is to assure buyer that quality is maintained throughout the end of production.